Nirjala Ekadashi: A divine day dedicated to mighty Lord Vishnu
Nirjala Ekadashi is observed to revere the glorious powers of supreme lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu is celebrated as the guardian and protector of the universe. He fights with evils and catastrophes, bringing peace and bliss in life. The commanding Lord Vishnu incarnated on earth to protect against evils and adversities.
Significance of Nirjala Ekadashi
Nirjala Ekadashi is the most significant Ekadashi among all the eighteen Ekadashi that fall in a year. The Ekadashi is observed on the Shukla paksha of Jyeshtha month. Nirjala Ekadashi is also known as Bhima or Bhimsena Ekadashi. A prevalent legend is linked with Nirjala Ekadashi, including the second Pandava, Bhima. All the Pandavas and Draupadi fast on Ekadashi to please Lord Vishnu. But Bhima always failed to keep a fast on Ekadashi because of his poor eating habits. He met Maharishi Vyasa to help him sort his problem. The great sage Vyas advised him to observe only one Ekadashi fast but with complete determination and dedication. Bhima observed the Ekadashi fast without food or water and dedicated himself entirely to Lord Vishnu. From then onwards, the festival came to be known as Nirjala Ekadashi.
How to celebrate Nirjala Ekadashi?
Nirjala Ekadashi is observed by keeping a 24 hour long fast without water or food. Devotees organise a special puja early in the morning to celebrate Lord Vishnu. They chant stories, legends, mantras and slokas in admiration of the supreme Vishnu. Parana or breaking the fast should be performed within the Dwadashi tithi.
Benefits of celebrating Nirjala Ekadashi
Here are a few significant boons of Nirjala Ekadashi:
- ● Nirjala Ekadashi brings serene energies and a peaceful aura.
- ● It brings radiance and eliminates all the dark or harmful elements of life.
- ● This festival enriches life with sound health and increases life span.
- ● It reduces all the elements that hinder the smooth cycle of life.
- ● Nirjala Ekadashi brings glory, immense abundance and fortune.
- ● It brings well-being and happiness to families.
- ● The pious festival brings immense rejuvenation and calmness to life.
- ● It helps achieve moksha or salvation and guides towards a serene and spiritual mind.
Reap all the above benefits by celebrating Nirjala Ekadashi with immense joy. You can get in touch with us to know more about this festival. We will guide you on the tithis and perfect rituals to observe the festival.