Bhishma Ashtami- A divine day dedicated to Lord Bhishma
Bhishma Ashtami is a beautiful festival dedicated to Lord Bhishma. The mighty deity Bhishma has been a notable figure in the Mahabharata, the greatest epic of the Hindu cosmology. Bhishma is known for his bravery and mighty acts. He is the son of the great Ganga Devi, making him an even more divine figure.
Significance of Bhishma Ashtami
Bhishma Ashtami is celebrated with great significance in the Hindu realm. There is a prominent legend linked to Bhishma Ashtami. It is believed that Bhishma has the boon of iccha mrityu or he attained the blessing of selecting his death. It is believed that his father Shantanu gave him the blessing that he would be able to choose his death’s day. When Lord Bhishma was on their deathbed, he waited for many days to die on Uttarayana or Sankranti.
How to celebrate Bhishma Ashtami?
Bhishma Ashtami is celebrated by paying special tributes to the legendary figure Bhishma. Devotees chant the legends and stories of Bhismna’s bravery on this auspicious day. They observe a dedicated fast on this day and perform Arghyam. Ekodishta Shraddhais is also a vital ritual linked to this auspicious event. Chanting the glorious Bhishma Ashtami mantra is a vital ritual linked to Bhishma Ashtami. Performing tarpan is also a critical ritual linked to this festival. The beautiful festival is also celebrated by taking a holy dip in sacred waters, especially Ganga.
Boons of celebrating Bhishma Ashtami
Here are a few impeccable boons of observing Bhishma Ashtami-
- ● Bhishma Ashtami brings the blessings of the commanding deity Bhishma.
- ● It helps eradicate the fear of death and other ill spells.
- ● It brings immense harmony and stability to life.
- ● This joyous festival helps sanctify souls by removing all ill thoughts and bad energies.● The festival brings the blessings of ancestors too.
● The joyous festival adores life with harmony and glory.
● It brings rejuvenation, joy and peace to life.
● The glorious festival removes vicious energies and ill vibes from life.
Seek all the above boons by a proper celebration of Bhishma Ashtami. The beautiful occasion brings joy, glory and happiness to devotees. If you wish to expand your knowledge about the rituals, significance and importance of this festival, then get in touch with us.